In the light of the Holy Quran and authentic Hadiths, many learned scholars in Islam have opined in that the act of non-Muslims accepting Islam should not be called conversion but reversion. And they base their arguments on several Quranic verses and Hadiths which say that all human beings are born Muslims and it is later that their parents teach them to seek patrons other than the Almighty and therefore when a person comes back to the fold of Islam, its an act of reversion. Leaving aside semantics, Islam lays great emphasis that who come back to the fold of Islam be welcomed and accepted immediately so that all become one. Islam also lays down certain obligations on other Muslims in this regard so that the new Muslims do not feel alienated and their rights are duly protected and honored. All obligations of Islamic brotherhood discussed in the previous section applies here as well. It is quite fascinating to see the whole place erupting in Takbir- Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar (God is the Greatest) when someone accepts Islam publicly. Dr. Mohannad Hakeem writes- “Two legends of the Muslim history, Khalid ibn Al-Waleed, and Amr ibn Al-As, embraced Islam at the same day and gave a huge boost to this deen. Khalid was the one who led the Muslim army to conquer Iraq, Persia (Iran), Armenia, and Shaam (Syria & Lebanon). Amr ibn Al-As was the one who spread Islam in Palestine and Egypt. Imagine the huge impact that these two men gave to Islam. How many people were introduced to Islam and later on contributed to it and to humanity through them? All that was influenced by those new (and in comparison to other companions, late) converts.”
- Sahih Bukhari Volume 2, Book 23, Number 441 Narrated Abu Huraira- Allah’s Apostle said, “Every child is born with a true faith of Islam (i.e. to worship none but Allah Alone) but his parents convert him to Judaism, Christianity or Paganism, as an animal delivers a perfect baby animal. Do you find it mutilated?” Then Abu Huraira recited the holy verses: “The pure Allah’s Islamic nature (true faith of Islam) (i.e. worshipping none but Allah) with which He has created human beings. No change let there be in the religion of Allah (i.e. joining none in worship with Allah). That is the straight religion (Islam) but most of men know, not.”
- Al-Quran 30:30 So direct your face toward the religion, inclining to truth. Adhere to the fitrah of Allah upon which He has created all people. No change should there be in the creation of Allah . That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.
- Miskat-ul Masabeeh 3064- Tamim Dari (r) narrated- I asked Allah’s Apostle about the mandate of Shariat regarding those who accept Islam. He (s) replied- “You are obliged to protect his life, liberty and property and he is more entitled to it than you.”
- Miskat-ul Masabeeh 4069- Aisha (r) narrated- Some people said, “O Allah’s Apostle! Meat is brought to us by some people and we are not sure whether the name of Allah has been mentioned on it or not (at the time of slaughtering the animals).” Allah’s Apostle said (to them), “Mention the name of Allah and eat it.”
- Sahih Bukhari Volume 2, Book 24, Number 517- Narrated Hakim bin Hizam- I said to Allah’s Apostle, “Before embracing Islam I used to do good deeds like giving in charity, slave-manumitting, and the keeping of good relations with Kith and kin. Shall I be rewarded for those deeds?” The Prophet replied, “You became Muslim with all those good deeds (Without losing their reward).”
- Sahih Bukhari Volume 5, Book 57, Number 12: Narrated ‘Ammar: I saw Allah’s Apostle and there was none with him but five slaves, two women and Abu Bakr (i.e. those were the only converts to Islam back then).
HOW TO REVERT BACK OR CONVERT TO ISLAM?
Reverting to al-Islam or the religion of peace or the true, natural and eternal faith of the Humanity as sanctioned & affirmed by the creator Almighty in Holy Quran is very simple and easy.
For accepting Islam, one does not require/need to attend any Ritual, Baptization, Yagna, etc but one simply needs to make the intention for that purpose and sincerely declare his/her Faith (known as ‘Shahada’ in Arabic& is given below) with full conviction and understanding to Almighty God/Allah.
You can declare this aloud or in your mind, either alone or in front of other Muslims, whatever you deem fit keeping in mind your personal safety, convenience, and other circumstances. May Allah (swt) make things easy for you.
Please keep in mind that intention is necessary & must and only you or God Almighty knows best as to what’s there in your heart. No third person can tell you your true intentions. Intention plays a big role in Islam. Allah’s Apostle (s) said ‘The reward of deeds depends upon the intentions and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended.’ (Sahih al-Bukhari Volume 1, Book 1, Number 1)
The Shahada or the Declaration of Faith and its Translation-
أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله
Ashadu an La ilaha illa Allah wa ashadu anna Muhammadan rasool Allah
I testify/swear that there is no deity but God (Allah), and I testify that Muhammad is the (last) Messenger of God (Allah)
मैं गवाही देता /देती हूँ की कोई और भगवान/ख़ुदा नहीं है सिवा एक परमेश्वर (अल्लाह) के और मैं गवाही देता/देती हूँ कि मुहम्मद उस परमेश्वर के (आख़िरी) रसूल (संदेशवाहक)हैं ।
If you have declared the above testimony with full intention, conviction & understanding, then Mashallah you are a Muslim and it is entirely up to you whether you tell others about your faith or not depending on your convenience and safety. May Allah (swt) make things easy, convenient & safe for you, your parents and your well-wishers. May He guide and bless you immensely in all your endeavors concerning this life and the next and may He make this faith and other things in life easy for you. May you spread/share the light of your knowledge & wisdom with everyone you come across; May you develop a great sense of justice, equity and welfare and may you progress in leaps and bounds in the affairs of this world and the hereafter. Ameen!
Best Wishes! 🌹🌹🌹